[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Nov 11 09:13:50 UTC 2010

Jankowski, Chris wrote:
> Robert,
>
> One reason is that with GFS2 you do not have to do fsck on the surviving node
> after one node in the cluster failed.

You don't have to do fsck after an unclean shutdown anyway, provided you
use a journaled file system. GFS2 avoids the need for fsck through
journaling same as any other journaled file system, not through some
other magic.

> Doing fsck ona 20 TB filesystem with heaps of files may take well over an hour.

Depends on your file system. fsck on one of my (4TB RAID10 arrays took
only about 2 minutes with ext4. Scaling that by 5x to get to 20TB still
implies a figure of about 10 minutes, well short of an hour.

Gordan