[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Nov 11 09:23:45 UTC 2010

Jankowski, Chris wrote:
> Digimer,
>
> 1.
>
> Well, this is certainly not my experience in dealing with modern
> rack mounted or blade servers where you use iLO (on HP) or DRAC (on Dell).
>
> What actually happens in two node clusters is that both servers
> issue the fence request to the iLO or DRAC. It gets processed
> and *both* servers get powered off.  Ouch!!  Your 100% HA cluster
> becomes 100% dead cluster.

Indeed, I've seen this, too, on a range of hardware. My quick and dirty
solution was to doctor the fencing agent to add a different sleep() on
each node, in order of survivor preference. There may be a setting in
cluster.conf that can be used to achieve the same effect, can't remember
off the top of my head.

Gordan