[Linux-cluster] Replication for iSCSI target?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Apr 4 02:27:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Alawi, Abraham
<Abraham.Alawi at team.telstra.com> wrote:
>  GlusterFS is an awesome solution, provides HA & performance but it has some
> limited capabilities too, like it doesn’t support POSIX ACL. Lastly my
> 2cents for a clustered file system, it sounds like a sexy solution but if
> it’s deployed in a small scale (e.g. < 5 nodes) it might easily become a
> nightmare. For small scales HA storage without losing stability I’d
> recommend DRBD + XFS/EXT3/4 + NFS.

Also don't forget that for any clustered solution (including DRBD),
there will be a performance penalty (which comes from cache
invalidation, sync writes, etc.) which might or might not be
acceptable, depending on your needs.

For simple setup I actually suggest you just stick with one or more
storage appliance (Netapp if you can afford it, or Nexenta community
edition if you want to use common hardware) and optionally setup
replication between the storage appliance.

--
Fajar