[Linux-cluster] fence_apc and Apc AP-8941

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Wed Apr 6 15:06:09 UTC 2011

(...)
>> When executed, the command above only display the error I mentionned
>> (unable to connect). If I add --debug-file to the command line, the file
>> id creates is empty.
>>
>> I also tried by re-enabeling telnet instead of ssh, and I got the same
>> result, except that now the debug file looks like :
>>
>> --------------------
>> telnet> set binary
>> Negotiating binary mode with remote host.
>> telnet> open 1.1.1.1 -23
>> Trying 1.1.1.1...
>> Connected to 1.1.1.1.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>
>> User Name : user
>> Password
>> --------------------
>> I replaced username and ip with fake ones.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> If response is too fast then problem is in connecting information/process.
> If it took long enough (timeout problem) then it can be problem with
> change in command prompt. If it is possible please send me what it is
> displayed when you are trying to do it manually.

Response is indeed very fast when trying with the agent. With tcpdump on the
node I try with the agent, I see ssh packets go to and from the apc switch.

When ssh-iing to the apc switch, it takes about 2 or 3 seconds before I get
the password prompt, and then I see :
------------------------------
user at 1.1.1.1's password:

American Power Conversion               Network Management Card AOS
v5.1.2
(c) Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved  RPDU 2g
v5.1.0
Name      : Unknown                                   Date : 04/06/2011
Contact   : Unknown                                   Time : 10:52:44
Location  : Unknown                                   User : Device Manager
Up Time   : 0 Days 1 Hour 52 Minutes                  Stat : P+ N4+ N6+ A+

Type ? for command listing
Use tcpip command for IP address(-i), subnet(-s), and gateway(-g)

apc>qConnection to 1.1.1.1 closed.
------------------------------

I think I have found the problem... Looking at fence_apc, I see :

options["ssh_options"] = "-1 -c blowfish"

Now, if I add this to my ssh command like so :

ssh -1 -c blowfish user at 1.1.1.1

I get :

Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs. 2

So, there is no ssh version 1 on this version of the apc switrch. I
commented out that line in /usr/sbin/fence_apc, and now the fence agent is
able to establish the connection, but it cannot go any further.

The only thing that shows in my debug file is :