[Linux-cluster] Solution for HPC

Jankowski, Chris Chris.Jankowski at hp.com
Wed Apr 20 09:05:52 UTC 2011

Konrad,

The first thing to do is to recompile your application using a parallelizing compiler with proper parameter equal to the number of cores on your server.  This of course assumes that you have the source code for your application.

For a properly written Fortran and C application a modern parallelizing compiler would do a great job.

Note that today you may have easily 48 real physical cores i.e. 96 independent parallel threads of execution with hyperthreading turned on a modern Intel x86_64 server such as HP DL980 G7.

Then the next step is to tune the application on the source code level to increase its parallelism such that it can actually use the 96 threads.

Only then, if the elapsed time of your processing is still unacceptably long (weeks), you would move to a HPTC cluster. This is very expensive - the Infiniband interconnects do not come cheap and you still need to put in a few man years of work to tune your code for the HPTC cluster.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris Jankowski