[Linux-cluster] clusternode name and uname -n

bergman at merctech.com bergman at merctech.com
Thu Apr 28 15:18:16 UTC 2011

In the message dated: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:09:51 +0200,
The pithy ruminations from "Alvaro Jose Fernandez" on
<Re: [Linux-cluster] clusternode name and uname -n> were:
=>
=> Hadn't to...for example look at the scenario where there is a separation
=> between the heartbeat/fencing network, and the application/public
=> network.

Yes, that is exactly my experience as well.

=>
=> In this case it's seems logical to me that clusternode name should point
=> to private names (ie, call them "nodexxx-hb" or "nodexxx-private" , etc.

That is exactly what I am doing.

In our case $hostname is the public interfac, "${hostname}-admin" is
the administrative network, "${hostname}-drac" is the DRAC interface.

We use "${hostname}-admin" for RHCS communication:

	# hostname
	acme-infrastructure1.fqdn

	# clustat
	Cluster Status for acme-infra @ Thu Apr 28 11:08:42 2011
	Member Status: Quorate

 	Member Name                              ID   Status
 	------ ----                              ---- ------
 	acme-infrastructure2-admin                1 Online, rgmanager
 	acme-infrastructure1-admin                2 Online, Local, rgmanager
 	acme-infrastructure3-admin                3 Online, rgmanager

I vaguely recall having to play some games with host ordering in /etc/hosts
when setting up the cluster.

Thanks,

Mark

=> Unrelated to the public hostnames and on different IP networks.
=>
=> alvaro
=>