[Linux-cluster] How do you HA your storage?

urgrue urgrue at bulbous.org
Sat Apr 30 17:00:10 UTC 2011

On 30/4/11 14:27, Corey Kovacs wrote:

This has nothing to do with any network. It's all over the fiber...

True, my bad, I was thinking of DRBD.

> Points in time? It's a raid 1, it's relatively instant. It's more
> complex to manage a failover in the way you describe if anything.
I didn't mean that. What I meant is with any enterprise storage filer I
can walk in and take a point in time snapshot of my entire datacenter -
all hundreds of servers - with almost no effort. And restore it. That's
a pretty fantastic thing to be able to do before, say, a major upgrade
on hundreds of servers. And you manage all of it in one place. Take a
situation like if the company decides it needs a third copy of the data.
It'd be a fun job to map and configure the third LUN on 500 servers,
when on the SAN it'd be a a few minutes to configure. Or if that third
copy needs to be async instead, I don't even think you can do that with
LVM or software raid.
Host-based mirroring is great for many situations, but when it comes to
larger environments, I think most companies tend to prefer SAN mirroring.