[Linux-cluster] EFI in CLVM

Jonathan Barber jonathan.barber at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:13:28 UTC 2011

On 13 August 2011 04:24, Paras pradhan <pradhanparas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan,
> Its a FC SAN.
> Here is multipath -v2 -ll output and looks good .
> --
> mpath13 (360060e8004770d000000770d000003e9) dm-28 HITACHI,OPEN-V*4
> [size=2.0T][features=1 queue_if_no_path][hwhandler=0][rw]
> \_ round-robin 0 [prio=2][active]
>  \_ 5:0:1:7 sdt 65:48 [active][ready]
>  \_ 6:0:1:7 sdu 65:64 [active][ready]
> ---
>
> If I don't make an entire LUN a PV, I think I would then need partitions. Am
> i right? and you think this will reduce the speed penalty?

The (possible) speed penalty with a partition + LVM is because the
blocks in the LVM/filesystem aren't aligned with the blocks in the
storage system. So when you write a block in the the OS, the storage
system has to write to two blocks. You can overcome this by manually
aligning the partitions with the underlying storage.

You can also just not use any partitions/LVM and write the filesystem
directly to the block device... But I'd just stick with using LVM.

If you want to create a LV that uses all of the space on a VG, you can use:
# lvcreate -l 100%FREEVG -n $NAME $VGNAME

Do you see the same problem if you create the LV without CLVMD
running? This thread suggests it's possible to stop clvmd whilst the
cluster is running:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2008-November/msg00151.html

If you run "lvcreate -ddddddd -vvv ..." do you see any useful messages?

Cheers

Jonathan Barber <jonathan.barber at gmail.com>