[Linux-cluster] IPv6 Setup with RHCS

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Sat Feb 5 06:55:55 UTC 2011

Hi Robert

On 02/04/2011 07:57 PM, Robert Hayden wrote:
> I have searched for a concrete example of RHCS in a pure IPv6
> environment, but I have only found references that IPv6 is supported.
>
> Does anyone have experience with setting up RHCS with IPv6 that they
> would be willing to share?

Yes, I use IPv6 for testing RHCS before each release.

The real question is: do you want to use IPv6 for cluster
heartbeat/backend and/or do you want RHCS to drive for example IPv6
virtual IPs?

>  Any good, technical papers out there?  In
> particular, I would like to stay in the RHEL 5.x release, but would
> consider RHEL 6 options as well.  I am wanting to protect a simple,
> custom application that requires a floating IPv6 IP address resource.

VIP should work just fine in both, but I only tested RHEL6 deeply with
IPv6 (both backend and VIP).

Keep in mind that any application you want to use (that being custom
made or any other resource) must be IPv6 aware. RHCS will only manage
the VIP for you and will not make your application IPv6 compliant (a
common thing people ask, while it sounds obvious to many, it is source
of confusion to many more).

In terms of configuration, it is really no different than an IPv4 VIP.

Simply replace the ipv4 address (or add one.. you get the idea) with an
IPv6 address.

Same requirements apply too.

The IPv4 VIP requires one node interface to have an IPv4 on the same
network. This is no different for IPv6. That means, before you start
setting up IPv6 in RHCS, make sure that IPv6 is configured and working
on the host system otherwise you will spend endless time debugging.

Fabio