[Linux-cluster] A better understanding of multicast issues

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 15:36:20 UTC 2011

When a multicast group is "joined" the switch/router will periodically
(three mins i think) send out a query to the members to see if the
connection is still needed. If a member does not reply to this query,
then the connection is dropped for that port. If a switch is rebooted,
then it's up to the member to re-establish the connection I believe,
not the switch. Snooping is not generally a problem unless it's broken
in the switch/router firmware. If it is, then you might need an
upgrade. We use Multicast for all sorts of things and have indeed run
into some problems on devices like Flex-10 cards for HP c7000 blade
chassis that didn't do igmp snooping correctly, but we have gotten
fixes for these issues from various vendors.

If you have a planned outage for a switch, you can have your network
people relocate the querier for a particular multicast group to
another switch accessible to say a bonded pair or something. Things
get really odd if you are on two separate switches that aren't
stacked.

Generally speaking, multicast isn't hard, you just have to think backwards.

-C