[Linux-cluster] Problem with machines fencing one another in 2 Node NFS cluster

Randy Brown randy.brown at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 14 13:53:21 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am running a 2 node cluster being used as a NAS head for a Lefthand
Networks iSCSI SAN to provide NFS mounts out to my network.  Things have
been OK for a while, but I recently lost one of the nodes as a result of
a patching problem.  In an effort to recreate the failed node, I imaged
the working node and installed that image on the failed node.  I set
it's hostname and IP settings correctly and the machine booted and
joined the cluster just fine.  Or at least it appeared so.  Things ran
OK for the last few weeks, but I recently started seeing a behavior
where the nodes start fencing each other.  I'm wondering if there is
something as a result of cloning the nodes that could be the problem.
Possibly something that should be different but isn't because of the
cloning?

I am running CentOS 5.5 with the following package versions:

Kernel - 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5 #1 SMP
cman-2.0.115-34.el5_5.4
lvm2-cluster-2.02.56-7.el5_5.4
gfs2-utils-0.1.62-20.el5
kmod-gfs-0.1.34-12.el5.centos
rgmanager-2.0.52-6.el5.centos.8

I have a Qlogic qla4062 HBA in the node running: QLogic iSCSI HBA Driver
(f8b83000) v5.01.03.04

I will gladly provide more information as needed.

Thank you,
Randy