[Linux-cluster] Cluster with shared storage on low budget

Nikola Savic niks at logik-internet.rs
Tue Feb 15 12:19:41 UTC 2011

Digimer wrote:
> Once, and *only* if the fence was successful, the cluster will reform.
> Once the cluster configuration is in place, recovery of the file system
> can begin (ie: the journal can be replayed). Finally, normal operation
> can continue, albeit with one less node. This is also where the resource
> manager (rgmanager or pacemaker) start shuffling around any resources
> that were lost when the node went down.

  From guide you sent me, I understood that fencing to work well servers
should have IPMI available on motherboards.

  My client is going to purchase servers at Hetzner from their EQ-Line.
I asked their support if IPMI is available. Since my other client
already has server with 'em, I tried to install ipmi related packages
(like you specified in guide). IPMI service doesn't start, so I assume
it's not available or not turned on in BIOS.

  How would cluster work if no IPMI or similar technology is available
for fencing? In case one of nodes dies and no fencing is available,
cluster will hang until administrator does manual fancing?

  Best Regards,
  Nikola