[Linux-cluster] Cluster with shared storage on low budget

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Tue Feb 15 15:55:43 UTC 2011

[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com]
> On Behalf Of Gordan Bobic
> Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:05 AM
>
> Volume resizing is, IMO, over-rated and unnecessary in most cases,
except where data
> growth is quite mind-boggling (in which case you won't be using MySQL
anyway).

We actually resize volumes often.  Some of our storage volumes have 30
LUNs or more.  We have so many because we've virtualized most of our
infrastructure, and some of the hosts are single-purpose hosts.

We don't want to allocate too more storage in advance, simply because
it's easier to grow than to shrink.  Stop the host, grow the volume,
e2fsck/resize2fs, start up and go.  Much nicer than increasing disk
capacity on physical hosts.

CLVM works well for this, but that's about all it's good for IMHO.  I
prefer to use the SAN's native volume management over CLVM when
available.

Haven't tried DRBD yet but I'm really tempted... it sounds like it has
come a long way since its modest beginnings.

-Jeff