[Linux-cluster] RHEL6 HA addon

Richard Allen ra at ra.is
Thu Feb 24 15:44:39 UTC 2011

Hi all

I notice in the Release Notes for RHEL6 that many changes have been made
to the Cluster Suite (HA Addon) but I am unable to find any mention of
how the new suite does heartbeat.
In previous versions the Cluster could only do heartbeats (node
intercommunication) on one network link and for redundancy the only
option was to use bonded network devices.
There was a way to add a second heartbeat using altnode directives in
the XML config file but that always felt a bit hackish and was only
limited to only one altnode, giving two heartbeat paths.

So I would like to ask how RHEL6 does this.  If I have nodes with 4 10Gb
NIC's, one connected to an admin network, another to a Database network
and one to the Application network and the last one connected directly
to the other node with a crossover cable, can the cluster now use all
possible paths to communicate to the other nodes or will one of those
paths become a single point of failure in the cluster?

I'm used to using Clusters like HP's ServiceGuard where I can easily
define which links to use as heartbeat.  It can even use a serial
connection (in a two node cluster) as a additional heartbeat and I have
always felt this is quite a big limitation in Red Hat's cluster suite up
to RHEL6 atleast.

Thanks in advance
Richard.