[Linux-cluster] Howto define two-node cluster in enterpriseenvironment

Thomas Sjolshagen thomas at sjolshagen.net
Mon Jan 10 20:38:12 UTC 2011

 On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:21:45 +0100, "Kit Gerrits"
 <kitgerrits at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello fellow administrator,
>
> If you have a SAN...
> Why can't you have the SAN publish the same LUN to the two cluster
> nodes
> simultaneously?

 You can, but you minimally need to guarantee (not believe or think, but
 guarantee!) that both nodes do not

 a) write to the same sectors, file systems or LVM volumes at the same
 time (this is actually a whole lot more difficult to do than most people
 think) - including boot sectors, partition tables, LVM metadata, etc,
 etc,

 b) think they're exclusively accessing the LUN I.e. there must be
 something on the nodes - an application, OS tool or something else -
 that understands that there is more than one reader & writer to a LUN
 and thus synchronizes this.

> It is only used as a raw device, so there should be no ugly
> filesystem
> side-effects.

 File systems only serve to make this a lot more obvious to the end user
 or administrator since it's integrity tends to get shot fairly quickly
 and there are integrity checks in place. On raw devices, you get the
 "benefit" of ignorance about the fact that your data is corrupt, unless
 b) above is true.

 Hth,

 // Thomas