[Linux-cluster] fence_vmware_ng fails: SHELL_TIMEOUT not defined

Ofer Inbar cos at aaaaa.org
Wed Jan 19 23:21:05 UTC 2011

I've got a cluster on CentOS 5.5, cman-2.0.115-34.el5_5.4, using VMWare.

VMWare fencing used to work.  At some point, it stopped, and I'm not
sure exactly when.  I noticed when one of the nodes developed a
problem and dropped out of the cluster and another node tried and
failed to fence it, and I had to reboot it manually to get it to
rejoin the cluster.

When trying to troubleshoot, I get this:
$ sudo fence_vmware_ng -a virtualcenter -l [loginname] -p [password] -o status -n [fencedevice-name]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/sbin/fence_vmware_ng", line 304, in ?
    main()
  File "/sbin/fence_vmware_ng", line 301, in main
    fence_action(None, options, set_power_status, get_power_status)
  File "/usr/lib/fence/fencing.py", line 726, in fence_action
    status = get_power_fn(tn, options)
  File "/sbin/fence_vmware_ng", line 193, in get_power_status
    outlets=vmware_get_outlets_vi(conn,options,True)
  File "/sbin/fence_vmware_ng", line 145, in vmware_get_outlets_vi
    all_machines=vmware_run_command(options,True,("--operation status
    --vmname '%s'"%(options["-n"])),0)
  File "/sbin/fence_vmware_ng", line 124, in vmware_run_command
    (res_output,res_code)=pexpect.run(command,SHELL_TIMEOUT+LOGIN_TIMEOUT+additional_timeout,True)
NameError: global name 'SHELL_TIMEOUT' is not defined

Same thing if I run $ sudo fence_node [nodename]

Google gives me no hits on this message, and I'd never encountered it
before.  I'm trying to find documentation on where SHELL_TIMEOUT and
LOGIN_TIMEOUT are supposed to be defined, and how they're supposed to
be passed to fence_vmware_ng.  Anyone know what might've gone wrong,
and what the right fix is?
  -- Cos