[Linux-cluster] gfs2 v. zfs?

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 23:27:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM, yvette hirth <yvette at dbtgroup.com> wrote:
> Rafa Grimán wrote:
>
>> Yes that is true. It's a bit blurry because some file systems have
>> features others have so "classifying" them is quite difficult.
>
> i'm amazed at the conversation that has taken place by me simply asking a
> question.
>
> *Thank You* all for all of this info!

We purposely diverted your question to backup, since it is easier to
have productive discussions (compared to directory list) :) ... In
general, any "walk" operation on GFS2 can become a pain for various
reasons. Directory listing is certainly one of them. It is an age old
problem. Other than the inherited issues from the horrible stat()
system call, it is also to do with the way GFS(1/2) likes to
"distribute" its block all over the device upon write contention. I
don't see how GFS2 can alleviate this pain w/out doing some sorts of
block reallocation.

I'll let other capable people to have another round of fun discussions
.... Maybe some creative ideas can get popped out as the result ...

-- Wendy