[Linux-cluster] GFS block size

juncheol park nukejun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 18:42:45 UTC 2011

I also experimented 1k block size on GFS1. Although you can improve
the disk usage using a smaller block size, typically it is recommended
to use the block size same as the page size, which is 4k in Linux.

I don't remember all the details of results. However, for large files,
the overall performance of read/write operations with 1k block size
was much worse than the one with 4k block size. This is obvious,
though. If you don't care any performance degradation for large files,
it would be fine for you to use 1k.

Just my two cents,

-Jun