[Linux-cluster] configuring bladecenter fence device

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Thu Jan 6 16:06:41 UTC 2011

To address:

As per my understanding, IP address is IP address of management module
of IBM blade center, login/password represent credentials to access
the same.

>> Correct.

However did not get the parameter 'Blade'. How does it play role in
fencing?

>> If I recall correctly the blade= is the identifier used to identify the blade in the AMM.  I can't remember if it is a number of a slot or a user defined name.  It corresponds to

# fence_bladecenter -h

   -n, --plug=<id>                Physical plug number on device or
                                        name of virtual machine
If the fencing code:

        "port" : {
                "getopt" : "n:",
                "longopt" : "plug",
                "help" : "-n, --plug=<id>                Physical plug number on device or\n" +
                "                                        name of virtual machine",
                "required" : "1",
                "shortdesc" : "Physical plug number or name of virtual machine",
                "order" : 1 },

To test this try running:

An example cluster.conf looks like:

                <clusternode name="node1" votes="1">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="1">
                                        <device blade="2" name="chassis_fence"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>
                </clusternode>
                <clusternode name="node2" votes="1">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="1">
                                        <device blade="3" name="chassis_fence"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>

       <fencedevices>
                <fencedevice agent="fence_bladecenter" ipaddr="XXX.XXX.1.143" login="rchs_fence" name="chassis_fence"
passwd="XXXXXXX"/>
        </fencedevices>

-Ben