[Linux-cluster] What is the current recommendation concerning shutting down a cluster node?

Hofmeister, James (WTEC Linux) james.hofmeister at hp.com
Thu Jan 6 18:00:30 UTC 2011

What is the current recommendation concerning shutting down a cluster node?

Is it acceptable to use shutdown or init to reboot an active/running cluster node?

I have reviewed the RHCS admin guide and it does not state to *not* use shutdown or init.

RHCS RH436 training manual (page 305) says the way to remove a node from the cluster is:

umount gfs
service rgmanager stop
service gfs stop
service clvmd stop
service cman stop

...and I have found other references that say:

Use the "leave cluster" functionality from luci.  Also "cman_tool leave".  Also fence_ command.

In the RH436 class it was verbally discussed during the fencing chapter that it was a bad thing to shutdown a node, but to instead power down the machine which has been implemented in many of the fence_ scripts.

So the question is:  Is it currently acceptable to use shutdown or init to reboot an active/running cluster node?
~and~ if not, is this documented?

Regards,
      James Hofmeister  Hewlett Packard Linux Solutions Engineer