[Linux-cluster] How to re-store my lost data

Thomas Sjolshagen thomas at sjolshagen.net
Thu Jan 6 20:18:17 UTC 2011

 We'd need to know how your storage is configured.

 Everything from how storage is connected to the system (if it's
 external) or if you're using an internal RAID controller. What sort of
 mirroring are you using, how many locally connected HDD drives do you
 have, how are the clustered file systems connected to this system
 (iSCSI, Fibre Channel, something else), the contents of /etc/fstab,
 /etc/cluster/cluster.conf, output from the lvm commands (IIRC, #pvs,
 #lvs and #vgs will work on RHEL to display any LVM configuration
 hightlights). Also, what version of the cluster stack are you using (and
 what components - things like chkconfig --list, rpm -qa | grep cman,
 etc, etc). There are a couple of documents on the web that will provide
 you with examples/suggestions for the types of data you can/should
 collect before reporting a problem with the Red Hat Cluster Stack.

 Also, what caused you to change the drive, how did it get changed and
 was anything done as part of that change in order to get the system back
 online again.

 If you don't know what you need to look at, I'm not sure you're the
 optimal person to try and fix this problem. Data recovery can be a
 fairly low-level thing in the right (wrong) set of circumstances.

 // Thomas

 On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:51:18 +0000, Luis Cebamanos <luiceur at gmail.com>
 wrote:
> Well, there are not backups of that valuable lost data but the
> cluster was using disk mirroring but no one has a clue of how to take
> advantage of that. Nobody here is a cluster expert and that has been
> the problem I guess.
> We haven't really "touch" any important system file, after physically
> installed the hard disk, we realized that the cluster wasn't properly
> working. We rebooted the cluster without the old disks and that has
> been the result.
> Worst scenario, we will need to call an expert, but we think it can
> not be a big deal as I said, we haven't modified the previous
> configuration...
> On 01/06/2011 07:44 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> On 01/06/2011 02:36 PM, Luis Cebamanos wrote:
>>> Is a cluster with 16 nodes and I suspect the problem is in the head
>>> node:
>>> $cat /proc/version
>>> Linux version 2.6.11.4-21.11-smp (geeko at buildhost) (gcc version
>>> 3.3.5
>>> 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Thu Feb 2 20:54:26 GMT