[Linux-cluster] gfs2 v. zfs?

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Tue Jan 25 01:06:46 UTC 2011

>BTW, I never understand why top-post is evil ? Isn't it making some
>emails hard to read ?

People on these lists take their precious time to help you almost always
with nothing in return, often allowing you (me, us, everyone who uses
them) the luxury of getting our job that we are paid for done. The very
least we can do is make it easy for them to perform this gesture.

Part of that involves creating a conversation they can go back and re-read
or follow along with and chime in when possible. In order to do this, you
need to trim replies to include what you are answering, and add your part.

Now if we all just put our comments in different places how would you
know what one person's statement was in reference to compared to another's?
If someone asked me for the output to several commands, wouldn't it
be logical to position this output after each command request as an example?

When you don't do this, people who are helping  you sometimes have to
go back, reread entire emails and try to make sense of gibberish, its time
consuming and exhausting to perform as a free favor.

In other words, why don't we top post or neglect to trim (Does the following
make sense?):

A.  Because it breaks the flow and reads backwards.

> Q.  Why is top posting considered harmful?

Hope that was informative:)
jlc