[Linux-cluster] gfs2 v. zfs?

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:16:24 UTC 2011

On 01/26/2011 02:19 AM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:

> I don't know of any reason why the inode number should be related to
> back up. The reason why it was suggested that the inode number should be
> independent of the physical block number was in order to allow
> filesystem shrink without upsetting (for example) NFS which assumed that
> its filehandles are valid "forever".

I'm not able to ping-pong too many emails on external mailing lists, at
least during week days. However, a quick note on this ...

GFS2 fragments very soon and very badly ! Its blocks are all over the
device due to the nature of how the resource group works. That slows
down *every* thing, particularly for backup applications. A production
deployment will encounter this issue very soon and they'll find the
issue more than annoying.

Now, educate me (though I'll probably not read it until weekend) ... how
will you defragment the FS with that inode number attaching to physical
block number ? You can *not* move these inodes.

-- Wendy