[Linux-cluster] GFS2 + NFS crash BUG: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference

Alan Brown ajb2 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 19:46:45 UTC 2011

Colin Simpson wrote:
> But I guess you are also telling me that file locking between the two
> wouldn't be helping here either?

Correct.

NFSd (v2/3) doesn't pass client locks to the filesystem, nor does it
respect locks set by other processes.

It has a number of other foibles - try setting up a large number of
services where you have one NFS export per service (eg, multiple disk
mounts) and there's a good chance the exports will fail at startup
because they all try to run at once and end up scribbling all over each
other's export list (There's a name for this kind of failure mode, which
I can't remember)