[Linux-cluster] Linux Cluster + KVM + LVM2

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Wed Jul 20 07:06:42 UTC 2011

Hi Marc,

though Digimer's RHCS tutorial is an excellent introducion to the
RHCS cluster with a thourough step by step reference to setting
up a Xen cluster, and I'd highly recommend you read it, you
probably also would like to have look at these articles in the
cluster wiki which focus a little more condensed on your
questions.

Here is described how to set up so called HA-LVM which avoids the
clmvd overhead and is for settings like yours where you only
require active/passive VG activation (i.e. a shared storage VG is
only activated on a single cluster node at any time).
This is achieved by tagging of the affected VGs/LVs.

https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/LVMFailover

Unfortunately, this article lacks mentioning of the required
locking_type setting in lvm.conf.

But if you have access to RHN this article on HA-LVM does, and it
also outlines both methods, i.e. the so called "preferred clvmd"
method and the so called "original" (or what I'd call "tagging")
method which doesn't require clvmd:

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-3068

Should you on the other hand require active/active VGs (i.e.
simultaneous activation of the same shared VG on more than one
cluster node), which I consider not a requirement for a KVM
cluster (but I lack any experience in this field) the recommended
procedure is described here:

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-17651

Important aside, after you've edited the lvm.conf you are
required to make a new initial ramdisk (or at least touch the
mtime of the current initrd) or cluster services won't start on
that node (watch entries in messages or whereever syslogd logs
clulog stuff to).

In this article you may find something treating KVM VMs'
migration.

https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/KvmMigration

Regards
Ralph