[Linux-cluster] rhel 6.1 gfs2 performance tests

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 10:32:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 12:08 +0200, Jordi Renye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have configured redhat cluster RHEL 6.1  with two nodes.
> We have seen that performance of GFS2 on writing  is
> half of ext3 partition.
>
> For example, time of commands:
>
> time cp -Rp /usr /gfs2partition/usr
> 0.681u 47.082s 7:01.80 11.3%    0+0k 561264+2994832io 0pf+0w
>
> whereas
>
>   cp -R /usr /ext3partition/usr
> 0.543u 24.041s 4:16.86 9.5%     0+0k 2728584+3166184io 2pf+0w
>
> With  ping_pong tool from Samba.org we've got next results:
>
> Los resultados son los siguientes:
>
> ping_pong /gfs2partition/pingpongtestfile 3
> 1582 locks/sec
>
> With ping_pong test r/w:
>
> ping_pong -rw /gfs2partition/pingpongtestfile 3
> data increment = 2
> 4 locks/sec
>
> Do you think we can get better performance? Do you think
> are "normal" and "good" results ?
>
> Which recommendations do you tell us to get better performance?
>
> For example, we don't have a heartbeat network exclusively, but
> we have only one networks interface for application network and cluster
> network.
> Could we get better performance with one dedicated cluster network( for
> dlm,heartbeath,...).
>
> Thanks in advanced,

It depends what you are trying to optimise for... what is the actual
application that you want to run?

cp doesn't use fcntl locks to the best of my knowledge, so I doubt that
will have any particular effect on the performance. Also it would be
quite unusual for fcntl locks to have any effect on the performance of
the fs as a whole.

Usually the most important factor is how the workload is balances
between nodes. Also, did you mount with noatime, nodiratime?

Steve.