[Linux-cluster] Fencing Issues: fence_node fails but fence_ipmilan works

Manish Kathuria mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Mon Jun 6 07:53:55 UTC 2011

I am facing a strange problem configuring a two node cluster using
RHCS 4.8. Both nodes are HP Proliant DL 180 G6 servers using HP LO
100i (IPMI Based).

When I run the fence_node command to check the fence device
configuration for either of the nodes, it fails giving the following
message in the logs:

fence_node[nnnn]: Fence of "node1" was unsuccessful
fence_node[nnnn]: Fence of "node2" was unsuccessful

However, when I run the fence_impilan command using the same
credentials, it executes successfully and is able to switch on, off
and reboot the nodes. The cluster configuration for the fence devices
is:

IPMI Lan Type
Name:		lo1
IP Address:	172.16.1.x
Login		admin
Password	passone
Auth Type	password

Name:		lo2
IP Address:	172.16.1.y
Login		admin
Password	passtwo
Auth Type	password

I have already tried different options for Auth Type (blank, password,
md5). Have also tried using / not using lanplus for both the fence
devices in the Manage Fencing dialog without success.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Manish Kathuria