[Linux-cluster] [Linux-HA] resource agents 3.9.1 final release

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 14:44:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Fabio M. Di Nitto  wrote:

> Highlights for the rgmanager resource agents set:
>
> - oracledb: use shutdown immediate

hello,
from oracledb.sh.in I can see this actually is not a configurable
parameter, so that I cannot choose between "immediate" and "abort",
and I think it is not the best change.

        faction "Stopping Oracle Database:" stop_db immediate
        if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                faction "Stopping Oracle Database (hard):" stop_db
abort || return 1
        fi

There are situations where an occurring problem could let a DB stuck
on shutdown immediate, preventing completion of the command itself so
you will never arrive to the error code condition to try the abort
option...
And also:
"
SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
No new connections are allowed, nor are new transactions allowed to be
started, after the statement is issued.
Any uncommitted transactions are rolled back. (If long uncommitted
transactions exist, this method of shutdown might not complete
quickly, despite its name.)
Oracle does not wait for users currently connected to the database to
disconnect. Oracle implicitly rolls back active transactions and
disconnects all connected users.
"

it is true that in case of shutdown abort you have anyway to rollback
too, during the following crash recovery of startup phase, but I'd
prefer to do this on the node where I'm going to land to and not on
the node that I'm leaving (possibly because of a problem).
In my opinion the only situation where "immediate" is better is for
planned maintenance.

Just my opininon.
Keep on with the good job
Gianluca