[Linux-cluster] virtual machine resource agent does not gracefully shutdown vms

Cristian Mammoli - Apra Sistemi c.mammoli at apra.it
Tue Jun 28 17:03:08 UTC 2011

On 06/28/2011 06:24 PM, Cristian Mammoli - Apra Sistemi wrote:

> Hi, I have 4 2-node clusters (EL clone, 5.6 release) which provide high
> availability to KVM virtual machines.
> Very often when I stop a vm service (with luci or clusvcadm) the virtual
> machine does not shutdown gracefully but continues to operate normally
> until the timeout kicks in and force the poweroff.

I reproduced the issue nad it seems that vm.sh correctly issues "virsh
shutdown domain" but the vm does not actually give a f*** :)

[root at srvha01 ~]# /usr/share/cluster/vm.sh stop
Hypervisor: qemu
Management tool: virsh
Hypervisor URI: qemu:///system
Migration URI format: qemu+ssh://target_host/system
<debug>  Virtual machine srvdc01 is running
virsh shutdown srvdc01 ...
Domain srvdc01 is being shutdown

Nothing happens and the domain keeps running normally.

Second try:

[root at srvha01 ~]# /usr/share/cluster/vm.sh stop
Hypervisor: qemu
Management tool: virsh
Hypervisor URI: qemu:///system
Migration URI format: qemu+ssh://target_host/system
<debug>  Virtual machine srvdc01 is running
virsh shutdown srvdc01 ...
Domain srvdc01 is being shutdown

The domain shuts down correctly

At this point I think this is a libvirt/kvm/windows issue...
Anyway any help is appreciated.

--
Cristian Mammoli
APRA SISTEMI srl