[Linux-cluster] Forcing off KVM Windows guests from rgmanager

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Tue Nov 1 16:08:38 UTC 2011

On 11/01/2011 11:56 AM, Michael Morgan wrote:
>> The problem with this is that when I try to stop rgmanager (or even
>> simply disabling the VM resource), an application on the windows KVM
>> guest pops up a "Are you sure you want to close X?". This blocks the VMs
>> shutdown, which leaves rgmanager sitting there indefinitely waiting for
>> the guest VM to stop and nothing actually shuts down until the batteries
>> drain.
>
> How much much lead time are you giving rgmanager? In my experience (and
> according to vm.sh) rgmanager will issue a virsh destroy roughly 2
> minutes after a virsh shutdown. From vm.sh:
>
>  263     <actions>
>  264         <action name="start" timeout="300"/>
>  265         <action name="stop" timeout="120"/>
>  467         for op in $*; do
>  468                 echo virsh $op $OCF_RESKEY_name ...
>  469                 virsh $op $OCF_RESKEY_name
>  470
>  471                 timeout=$(get_timeout)
>  472                 while [ $timeout -gt 0 ]; do
>  473                         sleep 5
>  474                         ((timeout -= 5))
>  475                         state=$(do_status)
>  476                         [ $? -eq 0 ] || return 0
>  477
>  478                         if [ "$state" = "paused" ]; then
>  479                                 virsh destroy $OCF_RESKEY_name
>  480                         fi
>  481                 done
>  482         done
>
> I don't know off hand if the action parameters can be adjusted in the
> rgmanager config, I've never had cause to change it personally.
>
> Your site is a very useful resource btw. Great job and many thanks!
>
> -Mike

Not two minutes. ;)

I will try letting is wait on my test cluster shortly and will report
back. If the destroy is indeed called, that would be fantastic.

Glad to hear the site help! :D

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron