[Linux-cluster] Ext3/ext4 in a clustered environement

Bohdan Sydor bohdan at harazd.net
Fri Nov 4 21:35:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Nicolas Ross <rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca> wrote:
> On some services, there are document directories that are huge, not that
> much in size (about 35 gigs), but in number of files, around one million.
> One service even has 3 data directories with that many files each.
>
> It works pretty well for now, but when it comes to data update (via rsync)
> and backup (also via rsync), the node doing the rsync crawls to a stop, all
> 16 logical cores are used at 100% system, and it sometimes freezes the file
> system for other services on other nodes.

I have a 600GB GFS2 FS, and I resolved the issue with rsync that I run
ionice -c3 rsync -av ...
That way rsync is given the CPU for IO, if all other processes don't
require IO. Of course it takes a lot of time to compete the sync, but
if the time is not an issue, it can be a solution.

--
Regards,
Bohdan