[Linux-cluster] Ext3/ext4 in a clustered environement

Xavier Montagutelli xavier.montagutelli at unilim.fr
Mon Nov 7 12:57:35 UTC 2011

On Monday 07 November 2011 11:13:52 Kaloyan Kovachev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:05:34 -0400, "Nicolas Ross"
>
> <rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca> wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > We are curently using RHEL 6.1 with GFS2 file systems on top of
> > fiber-channel stoarage for our cluster. All fs' are in lv's, with clvmd.
>
> As they are LV's, you may try to make a snapshot

Is it possible to make snapshots in a *cluster* LVM environment ? Last time I
read the manual it was not possible.

Oops, possible starting with RH 6.1, okay ...
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-
single/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/index.html#snapshot_command

> and then mount it with
> lock_nolock - faster and won't interfere with other services.

If you can make snapshots, I agree, it is a good solution to mount a snapshot
on a dedicated node.

But perhaps this can also be done at the storage level, one layer deeper ?