[Linux-cluster] NTP sync cause CNAM shutdown

Geovanis, Nicholas Nicholas.Geovanis at uscellular.com
Mon Nov 7 17:30:48 UTC 2011

I can't find from where I leaned this "trick", but if you look at the
stock RH 5.6 startup script for ntpd you'll see it: If you put an IP
address (not hostname but numeric address) in the file
/etc/ntp/step-tickers, the startup script takes that to mean the
following: "Run ntpdate against the server(s) in /etc/ntp/step-tickers
before you establish yourself as ntp client". I point it at my very same
ntp server (just by address, name resolution isn't necessarily up yet).
This way the local clock gets "normalised" before it really tries to
properly sync via ntpd and that subsequent time sync isn't problematic.

More importantly, in one datacenter I have clusters serving GFS2 which
take so long to establish client-server with the NTP servers that
they'll startup inquorate almost every time _without_ doing this.

Nick Geovanis
US Cellular/Kforce Inc
v. 708-674-4924
e. Nicholas.Geovanis at uscellular.com