[Linux-cluster] error messages while use fsck.gfs2

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 09:17:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 17:04 +0800, Sherlock Zhang wrote:
> Hi Bob
>     Thank you for your advice,
> I had dump the FS head.
> #dd if=/dev/sdc of=/home/disk.dump bs=4096 count=1000
> #file disk.dump
> disk.dump: Linux GFS2 Filesystem (blocksize 4096, lockproto
> fsck_nolock)
> and I also try
> # gfs2_tool sb /dev/sdc all
>   mh_magic = 0x01161970
>   mh_type = 1
>   mh_format = 100
>   sb_fs_format = 1801
>   sb_multihost_format = 1900
>   sb_bsize = 4096
>   sb_bsize_shift = 12
>   no_formal_ino = 2
>   no_addr = 35
>   no_formal_ino = 1
>   no_addr = 34
>   sb_lockproto = fsck_nolock
>   sb_locktable =
>   uuid = 5a8234ba-ad89-f87a-c98b-807e307085fe
>

> then try to mount the storage
> #mount.gfs2 -o  lockproto=fsck_nolock /dev/sdc /opt
> error mounting /dev/sdc on /opt: No such file or directory
>

> #dmesg
> GFS2: can't find protocol fsck_nolock
>

> Is this mean the filesystem structure still ok?
> why should dmesg will report can't find fsck_nolock protocol?
> Did I miss something?
>

> Thank you

This means that fsck has stopped before it finished for some reason. It
replaces the lock protocol with fsck_nolock while it is running so that
if this happens you cannot remount the filesystem which is potentially
damaged. If fsck is not completing correctly then we need to look into
why that is,

Steve.