[Linux-cluster] centos5 to RHEL6 migration

Alan Brown ajb2 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 13:27:10 UTC 2012

On 09/01/12 09:36, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

>> RH's advice to use is to "Big Bang" it.
>
> It´s not much of an advice, as RH does not officially support this
> upgrade method.

Indeed, but scheduling downtime in a 24*7*365.254 operation like space
science ftp servers is tricky. (1: You can't please everyone all the
time and they all believe their priorities are of earth-shattering
importance. 2: You can't schedule downtime during nights or vacation
periods as the people concerned tend to decide this is the best time to
run heavy duty batch processing that's due first thing Monday morning.)

> The amount of changes in the cluster software between EL5 and EL6 are a
> lot less intrusive at system level. I can´t really say for sure for the
> entire OS, since the upgrade doesn´t involve only RHCS.

Aye.

In this case the boxes are ONLY used as NFS fileservers because running
anything else on them which touched the GFS(2) FSes resulted in file
corruption (which is a case of "NFS vs everything else", more than
clustering itself.)

It would be _nice_ to have NFSv4 support working and supported in a GFS2
cluster.

It's really a pity Ken Olsen refused to opensource VMS (and OSF1) all
those years ago. They had this stuff working along time ago and there's
a lot of wheel reinvention going on. :(

AB