[Linux-cluster] centos5 to RHEL6 migration

Alan Brown ajb2 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 14:04:25 UTC 2012

On 09/01/12 13:34, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

> Something i forgot to mention in the other email, is that for example,
> you can just move the LUNs from your SAN from one cluster to another
> assuming you are running GFS2 and that will work.

And assuming that you have 2 clusters. This might be a possiblity shortly.

>> It would be _nice_ to have NFSv4 support working and supported in a GFS2
>> cluster.
>
> Steven can answer to this one.. but I think the point is more
> active/active vs active/passive (IIRC from previous discussions).

We break up NFS serving into one service (ip) per FS.

Any given FS is only served from one node because NFSv3 doesnt play
nicely with anything else, including other instances of itself.

Bringing all the NFS services all onto one node is perfectly possible
but it's still a bunch of individual services.

Running all NFS on one box turns into a choke point several times/day
due to the loads involved. The protocol just doesn't scale very well.