[Linux-cluster] CLVM in a 3-node cluster

urgrue urgrue at bulbous.org
Mon Jul 2 21:39:07 UTC 2012

On 2/7/12 19:14, Digimer wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 01:08 PM, urgrue wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up a 3-node cluster with clvm. Problem is, one node
>> can't access the storage, and I'm getting:
>> Error locking on node node3: Volume group for uuid not found: <snip>
>> whenever I try to activate the LVs on one of the working nodes.
>>
>> This can't be "by design", can it?
>
> Does pvscan show the right device? Are all nodes in the cluster? What
> does 'cman_tool status' and 'dlm_tool ls' show?

Sorry, I realize now I was misleading, let me clarify:
The third node cannot access the storage, this is by design. I have
three datacenters but only two have access to the active storage. The
third datacenter only has an async copy, and will only activate
(manually) in case of a massive disaster (failure of both the other
datacenters).
So I deliberately have a failover domain with only node1 and node2.
node3's function is to provide quorum, but also be able to be activated
(manually is fine) in case of a massive disaster.
In other words node3 is part of the cluster, but it can't see the
storage during normal operation.
Looking at it another way, it's kind of as if we had a 3-node cluster
where one node had an HBA failure but is otherwise working. Surely node1
and node2 should be able to continue running the services?
So my question is, do I have an error somehwere, or is clvm really
actually not able to function without all nodes being active and able to
access storage?