[Linux-cluster] gfs2 quota tools

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 11:07:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 12:11 +0200, Ali Bendriss wrote:
> > Hi,
>

> > On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 10:45 +0200, Ali Bendriss wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>

> > > It's look like recent version of GFS2 use the standard linux quota
>
> > > tools,
>

> > > but I've tried the mainstream quota-tools (ver 4.00) without
> success.
>

> > > Which version sould be used ?
>

> > > thanks
>

> > The quota tools should work with GFS2. Can you explain which kernel
>
> > version you were using and what exactly didn't work? What mount
> options
>
> > did you use?
>

> > Steve.
>
> Sorry for the missing information:
>
> I'm running slackware with
>
> kernel : 3.4.3
>
> cluster : 3.1.92
>
> gfsutils: 3.1.4
>
> The file system I want to use the quota with is
>
> /dev/mapper/shared-desktop on /home/csamba/desktop type gfs2
> (rw,noatime,nodiratime,hostdata=jid=0,quota=on)

That looks ok...

> first I was using gfs2_quota, I was able to init and set the quota for
> users
>
> but get command was wrong after (when the limit is reached).
>
> in ex:
>
> du -h /home/csamba/desktop/abendriss
>
> 19M /home/csamba/desktop/abendriss
>
> # gfs2_quota get -f /home/csamba/desktop/ -u abendriss -m
>
> user PARIS8\abendriss: limit: 20.0 warn: 0.0 value: 40810.8
>
> gfs2_quota init -f /home/csamba/desktop/ -u abendriss -m
>
> mismatch: user 3000272: scan = 8, quotafile = 16
>
> mismatch: user 3000208: scan = 8, quotafile = 16
>
> mismatch: user 3000335: scan = 8, quotafile = 16
>
> root at minnie:/# gfs2_quota get -f /home/csamba/desktop/ -u abendriss -m
>
> user PARIS8\abendriss: limit: 20.0 warn: 0.0 value: 18.0
>
> Each time I need to call init to get the real value back. I was
> thinking that the value were updated each 60s but on my system it's
> not the case.

The GFS2 quota system is such that it is possible, depending on
circumstances to sometimes exceed the quota limits. There are settings
which allow you to bound the error in time and space, with the tradeoff
being that the more accurate the quotas, the greater the overhead of the
quota management system.

That said, the number of blocks should be correct given a sync of the
quota data on the node in question, in any case. Did you sync the quota
data before examining the quota file?

> The I tried then the quota-tools 4.00 (from source) and get:
>
> root at minnie:/var/tmp/quota-4/quota-tools# ./quotacheck -v -c
> -u /home/csamba/desktop/
>
> quotacheck: Scanning /dev/dm-10 [/home/csamba/desktop] done
>
> quotacheck: Cannot stat old user quota file on: No such file or
> directory. Usage will not be substracted.
>
> quotacheck: Old group file name could not been determined. Usage will
> not be substracted.
>
> quotacheck: Checked 1102 directories and 1 files
>
> quotacheck: Cannot turn user quotas off on /dev/dm-10: Function not
> implemented

This is true. You can't turn quotas on and off using the quota tools,
but only by using the mount arguments (and mount -o remount). I don't
think that should be required in order to run quotacheck, but Abhi can
probably confirm whether that is the case or not,

Steve.