[Linux-cluster] Rhel 5.7 Cluster - gfs2 volume in "LEAVE_START_WAIT" status

Dan Riley dan131riley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:52:23 UTC 2012

Hi Cedric,

About the only doc I've found that describes the barrier state transitions is in the cluster2 architecture doc

http://people.redhat.com/teigland/cluster2-arch.txt

When group membership changes, there's a barrier operation that stops the group, changes the membership, and restarts the group, so that all members agree on the membership change synchronization.  LEAVE_START_WAIT means that a node (12) left the group, but restarting the group hasn't completed because not all the nodes have acknowledged agreement.  You should do 'group_tool -v' on the different nodes of the cluster and look for a node where the final 'local_done' flag is 0, or where the group membership is inconsistent with the other nodes.  Dumping the debug buffer for the group on the various nodes may also identify which node is being waited on.  In the cases where we've found inconsistent group membership, fencing the node with the inconsistency let the group finish starting.

[as an aside--is there a plan to reengineer the RH cluster group membership protocol stack to take advantage of the virtual synchrony capabilities of Corosync/TOTEM?]

-dan