[Linux-cluster] Clarifications needed on Setting up a two node HA cluster

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Jun 27 02:46:17 UTC 2012

What I like to recommend then is to put the service on a virtual
machine. Then make the VM itself the highly available service. The
reason I prefer this is that the same setup can then be re-used for
pretty much any other service on any operating system. The down side
though it that recovery from a node failure takes however long it takes
for the VM to reboot, which might be too long for you. I've got a
tutorial for this kind of setup:

https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial

If you need to make the recovery faster, then you will want to make the
apache service itself the HA service. The image you linked is from RHEL
5. Be sure to use RHEL 6 docs.

You might want to look at DRBD as an alternative to a SAN if you want to
keep costs down. This is, effectively, "RAID 1 over a network". The idea
is that your storage backing your active node is replicated to the
backup node. Should the primary fail, you'd "promote" the backup node's
storage, start apache and take over the floating IP address.

If you want even faster fail-over, then you can run DRBD is "dual
primary mode", use GFS2 on it and have apache running on both nodes all
the time. Then the only thing you need to make the highly available
service is the floating IP address.

You can configure the cluster using 'luci', which can be installed on a
machine outside the cluster if you would like. Personally, I recommend
people work with the core /etc/cluster/cluster.conf file as it helps you
understand what is happening behind the scenes better.

Happy clustering. :)

--
Digimer