[Linux-cluster] Problem with ping as an heuristic with qdiskd

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:44:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:39:43 +0100, emmanuel segura wrote:

> Hello Gianluca
> Do you have a cluster private network?
> if your answer it's yes i recommend don't use heuristic because if your cluster public network goes down
> your cluster take a fencing loop
>
> Or you can do something better, use pacemaker+corosync

My cluster is RH EL 5.7 based. Pacemaker is not an option here...
And also, if I remember correctly, pacemaker in 6.2 is not officialy
supported yet. Probably in 6.3?
I do have a private network that is in place.
Here we are talking about heuristic to manage fencing decisions, based
on both quorum disk reachability and network serviceability (ping to
gateway for the production network must be ok)

see also (even if not so recent):
http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/12/19/enhancing-cluster-quorum-with-qdisk/

But in the mean time I also found this thread:
http://osdir.com/ml/linux-cluster/2010-05/msg00081.html

and in fact during last weeks we got a nightly job consisting of a big
ftp to an external site and it could be related to my problem...

I have to evaluate if
ping -c3 -t3 -W1
could be a better option in our new situation during night