[Linux-cluster] Problem with ping as an heuristic with qdiskd

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 11:26:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:29:06 +0100 emmanuel segura wrote:
> i'll try to be more clear
> i work on redhat cluster from 2 years and i seen this topic so much times

Sorry, I didn't want to offend anyone.
I have been working on rhcs (and other companions from other OSes) for
many years too...

> I think it's normal my services switch if have the public network  down on the node where
> the resource group was running,But But But with ping as heuristic you get a node fence

AFAIK rhcs is not able to switch service if the server looses its connectivity.
Better: the /usr/share/cluster/ip.sh resource definition contains the
parameter monitor_link, but it is only for dead link on the nic..
And I have to manage rhcs...

So in my opinion if you want to test gateway reachability (that means
production lan where you deliver a cluster service) you are at the
moment forced to use heuristic or write your own resource to add to
the ones composing the service and so causing a service switch in case
of problems with this custom resource...
but I could be wrong in my assumption...

Cheers,

Gianluca