[Linux-cluster] Ideas on merging #linux-ha and #linux-cluster on freenode

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon May 28 14:55:41 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 02:42 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 12:02 AM, Digimer wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this has come up before, but I thought it might be worth
>> discussing.
>>
>> With the cluster stacks merging, it strikes me that having two separate
>> channels for effectively the same topic splits up folks. I know that
>> #linux-ha technically still supports Heartbeat, but other than that, I
>> see little difference between the two channels.
>>
>> I suppose a similar argument could me made for the myriad of mailing
>> lists, too. I don't know if any of the lists really have significant
>> enough load to cause a problem if the lists were merged. Could
>> Linux-Cluster, Corosync and Pacemaker be merged?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Digimer, hoping a hornets nest wasn't just opened. :)
>>

> So we already have the ha-wg and ha-wg-techincal mailing lists around on
> the linux fundation servers that should serve as coordination between
> projects (tho it appears we rarely use them).
>
> We could use an IRC equivalent on freenode.. #ha-wg ? the channel is
> free at moment.
>
> I don't see single projects mailing lists or IRC channels disappearing
> any time soon and it doesn't make sense to kill them all either.
> Some lists will disappear in time as the projects will slowly become
> obsoleted. The issue here is that we can't really force it. It has to be
> a natural process. Look at cman for example. True we obsoleted it in the
> new world, but effectively cman will not die till RHEL6 support ends in
> several years from now.
>
> Fabio

My worry about a new list would be that it'd be just like a standard;

http://xkcd.com/927/

If there was to be a merger, I would think that choosing an existing one
would be best to help avoid this. "Linux-cluster" is pretty generic and
might fit.

I understand that devs working on project like having a dedicated list
for their project of interest. For this reason, I decided not to press
this any more.

My focus was from a user's perspective... A common place to send users
who are looking for help with any part of open-source clustering where
potential helpers can be found. Given the interconnected nature of the
cluster components, it's hard for users to know which component is
troubling them at first.

--
Digimer