[Linux-cluster] Ideas on merging #linux-ha and #linux-cluster on freenode

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon May 28 20:25:21 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 03:41 PM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 04:55 PM, Digimer wrote:

>>> So we already have the ha-wg and ha-wg-techincal mailing lists around on
>>> the linux fundation servers that should serve as coordination between
>>> projects (tho it appears we rarely use them).
>>>
>>> We could use an IRC equivalent on freenode.. #ha-wg ? the channel is
>>> free at moment.
>>>
>>> I don't see single projects mailing lists or IRC channels disappearing
>>> any time soon and it doesn't make sense to kill them all either.
>>> Some lists will disappear in time as the projects will slowly become
>>> obsoleted. The issue here is that we can't really force it. It has to be
>>> a natural process. Look at cman for example. True we obsoleted it in the
>>> new world, but effectively cman will not die till RHEL6 support ends in
>>> several years from now.
>>>
>>> Fabio
>>
>> My worry about a new list would be that it'd be just like a standard
>
> we already have those lists in place. we just don't use them a lot.
>
> ;
>>
>> http://xkcd.com/927/
>>
>> If there was to be a merger, I would think that choosing an existing one
>> would be best to help avoid this. "Linux-cluster" is pretty generic and
>> might fit.
>
> I generally don't like to go into "politics" but that would be the first
> point of friction. linuc-cluster, while i agree it sounds neutral, it is
> associated with RHCS and other people are more religious about naming
> that others.
>

>> I understand that devs working on project like having a dedicated list
>> for their project of interest. For this reason, I decided not to press
>> this any more.
>
> The idea is not bad, don't get me wrong, I am not turning it down. Let's
> find a neutral namespace (like ha-wg) and start directing all users of
> the new stack there.
>
> Per project mailing list needs to exist for legacy and they will slowly
> fade away naturally. Some project will keep them alive for patch posting
> others will do what they want.
>

>> My focus was from a user's perspective... A common place to send users
>> who are looking for help with any part of open-source clustering where
>> potential helpers can be found. Given the interconnected nature of the
>> cluster components, it's hard for users to know which component is
>> troubling them at first.
>>

> Yup.. so far, the major players have always been crosslooking at
> different mailing lists, so the problem is not that bad as it sounds,
> but i still agree (as it was discussed before IIRC) a common "umbrella"
> would help the final users.
>
> Fabio

Well then, I will un-abandon my position to not proceed.

I understand the name 'ha-wg', but I think it's not enough related to
clustering for people to easily connect it. I like that it focuses on
HA, rather than "clustering" which is an umbrella for both HA and HPC. I
like the word "cluster", as it's one of the primary terms users would
use to search, I would think.

If we must create a new, general purpose name (though I still argue for
"linux-cluster", politics aside), then we should take the opportunity to
choose a name that is user-friendly, easy to connect to open source
cluster.

This should also be encouraged to be a user-focused list, to help keep
the snr low for devs using their per-project lists, I would suggest.

How would something like:

* Open Clustering
* Open HA Cluster
* Other?