[Linux-cluster] Normal startup vs startup due to failover on cluster node - can they be distinguished?

Parvez Shaikh parvez.h.shaikh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 05:25:11 UTC 2012

Hi experts,

I am using Red Hat Cluster available on RHEL 5.5. And it doesn't have any
inbuilt mechanism to generate SNMP traps in failures of resources or
failover of services from one node to another.

I have a script agent, which starts, stops and checks status of my
application. Is it possible that in a script resource - to distinguish
between normal startup of service / resource vs startup of service/resource
code to generate alarms if startup of service / resource (in my case a
process) is due to failover (not normal startup).

Further is it possible to get information such as cause of failure(leading
to failover), and previous cluster node on which service / resource was
running(prior to failover)?

This would help to provide as much information as possible in traps

Thanks,
Parvez