[Linux-cluster] Thin (sparse) provisioning

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Nov 27 15:14:54 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 04:58 PM, Phil Daws wrote:
> Hello:
>
> am learning about clustering with DRBD and GFS2 and have a question about thin provisioning.  I would like to set up a number of individual vservers that reside on their own LVs which can then be shared between two nodes and flipped backwards and forwards using Pacemaker.  When setting up the block/lvm device for DRBD I have used:
>
> lvcreate --virtualsize 1T --size 10G --name vserver01 vg1
>
> once that has been added as a resource would I perform a standard mkfs.gfs2 or do I need to specify any further options; I was thinking something like:
>
> mkfs.gfs2 -t vservercluster:vservers -p lock_dlm -j 2 /dev/vservermirror/vserver01
>
> Is that the way I should be doing it ?
>
> Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do here. If you want to put
VMs on LVs, use clustered LVM (clvmd) and use the LVs as backing devices
for the VMs. GFS2 is a great clustered FS, but no clustered FS is good
for backing VMs, in my opinion.

Here is how I do it:

https://alteeve.ca/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Provisioning_Virtual_Machines

I use GFS2 for storing the install images and XML definition files only.

--
Digimer
access to education?