[Linux-cluster] linux-cluster

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 16:45:28 UTC 2012

Greetings,

Hitesh,

Please follow list guidlines.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
> You don't seem to be reading what I am typing. Please go back over the
> various replies and read again what I said. Follow the links and read what
> they say.
>
> And please don't reply only to me. Click "Reply All" and include the mailing
> list.
>

>> I have a constraint of using Linux on bare machine for my 2 desktop.

>>                      Can you please let me know as how can i
>>         proceed...Do i have
>>                      to purchase
>>                      some sort of hardware?

Yes. You will need to buy power fencing device -- basically a power
strip with a ethernet port

I would strongly suggest you have two network port on each system.

What you want to do with a cluster?

>>         One more thing...till now i have used this setup:
>>
>>         have Windows vista OS ---> Virtual Box---->Red Hat installed.

You have to be kidding. You are using vista on bare metal for your HA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

>>                      [root at hitesh12 ~]# cat /etc/cluster/cluster.conf
>>                      <?xml version="1.0"?>
>>                      <cluster config_version="1" name="dhoni">

There needs to be two_node directive somewher there. Read up.

Better yet get help of some local technical person who knows what is HA.

It is a lot more than simple desktop install.

Or you need to invest quite a bit of time in learning and money in
getting some extra hardware (fence devices, switches, NIC, External
storage -- if required). And dont commit for or do that on production
without knowing what you are getting into.

If you can post more descriptively the objective of using cluster,
perhaps you will get more specific information.

Digimer's _*excellent*_ tutorial covers more or less all that you need
to know about clusters.

I wish I had that when I started playing around with that way back in 2007.

--
Regards,

Rajagopal