[Linux-cluster] Choosing a fencing device

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Oct 9 16:58:41 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 12:25 PM, Zama Ques wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Need help in selecting the right fencing device for our HA cluster of
> two nodes . The server hardware used is HP Proliant Servers and OS we
> are using is CentOS 5
>
> There are two options for us in selecting the fencing device .
>

> One is selecting a SAN Brocade switch. In this case , we will use ILO as
> secondary fencing device .
>
> Other option for us is using HP ILO as primary fencing device and IPMI
> fencing for secondary fencing
>

> Of the two options which will be better to go for configuring fencing
> .Any known issues with ILO or SAN Brocade switch in configuring fencing
> ?  Any suggestions will be greatly helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Zaman

There is no benefit to use fence_ilo and fence_ipmilan as they work on
the same device... If one fails, the other will, too.

Personally, I'd use fence_ipmilan (more tested than fence_ilo) as
primary and SAN fencing as a backup in case the out of band management
fails (as could happen if the node lost it's power).

The reason I recommend the oob interface as primary is that power
fencing has a chance of recovering the node where fabric fencing merely
cuts it off, which is fine for fencing, but stays offline until an admin
solves the problem and unfences the nodes.

--
Digimer
"Hydrogen is just a colourless, odorless gas which, if left alone in