[Linux-cluster] Fedora 19 cluster stack and Cluster registry components

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Mon Apr 22 23:37:26 UTC 2013

On 23/04/2013, at 4:59 AM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> On 04/22/2013 02:36 PM, Michael Richmond wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am researching the new cluster stack that is scheduled to be delivered
>> in Fedora 19. Does anyone on this list have a sense for the timeframe
>> for this new stack to be rolled into a RHEL release? (I assume the
>> earliest would be RHEL 7.)
>>
>> On the Windows platform, Microsoft Cluster Services provides a
>> cluster-wide registry service that is basically a cluster-wide key:value
>> store with atomic updates and support to store the registry on shared
>> disk. The  storage on shared disk allows access and use of the registry
>> in cases where nodes are frequently joining and leaving the cluster.
>>
>> Are there any component(s) that can be used to provide a similar
>> registry in the Linux cluster stack? (The current RHEL 6 stack, and/or
>> the new Fedora 19 stack.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your information,
>> Michael Richmond
>
> Hi Michael,
>
>  First up, Red Hat's policy of what is coming is "we'll announce on release day". So anything else is a guess. As it is, Pacemaker is in tech-preview in RHEL 6, and the best guess is that it will be the official resource manager in RHEL 7, but it's just that, a guess.

I believe we're officially allowed to say that it is our _intention_ that Pacemaker will be the one and only supported stack in RHEL7.

>  As for the registry question; I am not entirely sure what it is you are asking here (sorry, not familiar with windows). I can say that pacemaker uses something called the CIB (cluster information base) which is an XML file containing the cluster's configuration and state. It can be updated from any node and the changes will push to the other nodes immediately.

How many of these attributes are you planning to have?
You can throw a few in there, but I'd not use it for 100's or 1000's of them - its mainly designed to store the resource/service configuration.