[Linux-cluster] Please settle a bet for me

Bill G. tc3driver at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:25:14 UTC 2013

Hi list,

We are having a discussion about clustering on RHEL 5.2 and 5.4.

Knowing that there are no supported fence devices for VMWare 4.1 and the
given versions of RHEL.

As far as I can tell there must be a fence device for any type of automatic
fail over, but coworkers are insisting that if a clustered process dies it
can and will automatically start/fail over... it just won't if there is a
hardware failure. They are also saying that you will be able to move
processes from one node to another without fencing.

I am insisting that clustering does not work without an fence device.

Please settle this :)

--
Thanks,
Bill G.